Forum Index
  FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Register    Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Log in 
a review of mother 2 ****

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

best RPG ever?
mother 2
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
final fantasy iv
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
dragon quest v
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

between two primes

PostPosted: Monday, January 31st 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: a review of mother 2 **** Reply with quote

Woo yes. Discuss my review of Mother 2, if you'd like.

That article is here, by the way:

www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David Toon

PostPosted: Thursday, February 3rd 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. I'd like to take time to say that your writings absorb me like nothing else can. Your piece on Sons of Liberty was paticularly thought provoking. This too is quite well done.

After a lot of hard thought over the years, I'd have to say that EarthBound is my favorite game of all time, followed closely by Chrono Trigger, and most likely winning out due to it's underdog status. They were my very first RPGs (which may have something to do with it), and for me they are still unsurpased.

EarthBound definately made me feel something, though I wouldn't say it was sadness. I don't know, maybe it's more etherial than that. Anyway it's late, and I do need to go. Again, fine work Tim.
ajutla
Ben Affleck

PostPosted: Thursday, February 3rd 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's totally way better than your FFVI review.

Pretentious Sludge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
David Cartoon

PostPosted: Friday, February 4th 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, one question. In EarthBound, Dr.Andonuts was Jeff's father. Was he Jeff's uncle as you say in Mother 2?
LW Joestar
rockfucker

PostPosted: Saturday, February 5th 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there is an in-game clock in EarthBound. One of my favorite things to do in early stages of the game was to fill my inventory with fresh eggs ($12 apiece) right before going to bed. In the morning, they'd all have hatched into chickens (which sell for $110 a head)

Money is yummy.
Lestrade
hoople head

PostPosted: Saturday, February 5th 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: a review of mother 2 **** Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the review, Tim, and have been inspired to finally play this game. (I skipped over some of the more noted spoileriffic parts.) Playing Mother 2/Earthbound now, I realize that this is the kind of game I've always wanted more of.

I personally am extremely fond of adventure games such as Maniac Mansion. I miss Space Quest. These were very different games in terms of tone, compared to titles of today (which, to hide behind the skirt of "asshole", since I am too chickenshit to make definitive statements,, are either overplayed to the emo-basement-dweller crowd, or the monster-trucks-and-big-titties demographic). They had heart, story, and were fun despite ?or perhaps because of ?their simple point-and-dick gameplay.

Admittedly, they remind me of growing up in a quiet, mid-Ontario village (pop. 1200), surrounded by nature, blue skies, lakes, and a healthy whiff of innocence ?not unlike the opening territory in Onett. Adventure games remind of me of the wonderful duplicity that country life provides: the ability to spend all your energy outdoors during the day, enjoying nature, only to go indoors and force yourself awake at night to play the latest installment of King's Quest with a friend. Because of this very personal connection I have with games that are neither dark-and-epic nor cute-and-Pokeobnoxious, and weave a good tale, playing Earthbound has so far been a well-needed reminder for me. A reminder of what, I won't bother going into, since it would be strictly personal, anecdotal, and probably of no interest to anyone.

The game's spot-on humour and very adult, professional writing is so unique. It's genuinely smart ?both in the "clever" and "intelligent" sense. And doesn't that say something? That with all the insane budgets and technologies we have today, a game from 1994 can still be as engaging and entertaining? As relevant?

Anyway, I'm babbling here. Tim, we must be the same age, because 1994 would qualify as my favourite year for gaming as well.

Wow do I need a fucking vacation.

(The laptop screen really makes the game look snappy.)

person who needs to post more

PostPosted: Saturday, February 5th 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cartoon wrote:
Oh yes, one question. In EarthBound, Dr.Andonuts was Jeff's father. Was he Jeff's uncle as you say in Mother 2?

He is his uncle in both versions. You are misremembering.
ajutla
Ben Affleck

PostPosted: Saturday, February 5th 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REFERRING TO YOURSELF IN THE THIRD PERSON, EH?

I AM WITTY TO THE EXTREME.

Pretentious Sludge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
David Cartoon

PostPosted: Saturday, February 5th 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Hmm. Well, who am I to argue with...well, you. Hehe.

Lestrade, I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. I think since this is the 10th anniversary of EarthBound (US) I really have to play it when I get home. (Le sigh) Only 4 months...

PostPosted: Saturday, February 5th 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cartoon wrote:
Lestrade, I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. I think since this is the 10th anniversary of EarthBound (US) I really have to play it when I get home. (Le sigh) Only 4 months...

I guess if we're being technical, wouldn't last year have been the 10th anniversary?

In any case, I love the game so far. I see you're on "The Road." Well, if Tenacious D has taught me anything, it's that The Road is both "fucking hard" and "really fucking tough." May Server bless you in your travels.
David Cartoon

PostPosted: Saturday, February 5th 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I checked gamefaqs and while Mother 2 has a specific Japanese release date, EarthBound only says 95. Good enough for me I guess.

Yes, the road can be tough at times, yet (P.S. b u t, interresting word to edit, hehe) not exactly in the ways you might expect. As it says in my profile, I am part of a Christian theater company that travels about nine months out of the year. There are about 25 teams in North America (and about another 25 dispersed in other locals around the world), and each team usually has two females and one male, due to low numbers on the Y chomosome side.

The hard part comes that, while these two young ladies are often fine people and great friends, sometimes you really just need to hangout with another guy. Fellowship if you will. I crave Soul Calibur 2, not because it's one of the greatest fighting games I believe, yet because of the fraternaty I miss out on.

To segue back to EarthBound (and rpg's in general) I suppose I know what it feels like to be the odd party member out, like Paula. I mean, she had to want to sit down to a tea party sometime, right? At one point, I was counting how many monster truck rallies it would take for me to get back to my regular testosterone level. At least I've got my Cobalt SP I can retreat into for a little me time.

yet for that, life on the road is actually kinda fun. Except having to dress "as a profesional" 3/4 of the time. Before joining I was a tennis shoes and shorts kind of guy.

"We are yet men..."
mynameisal

PostPosted: Sunday, February 6th 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: awesome Reply with quote

on a whim, i decided to check out starmen.net after months of not having visited the beloved site. it brought me to your review which i must say has reminded me of why i love earthbound as much as i do. the feeling was similar to that heavy quiet that i felt post-adolescence when i realized that my parents are actually pretty awesome people.

-----------------------------------------------------
-Al @ TUF
http://www.thundergroundfilms.com

PostPosted: Wednesday, February 9th 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andonuts wrote:
David Cartoon wrote:

He is his uncle in both versions. You are misremembering.

No, he's fucking not.

Jeff wrote:
Paula, Ness?t was great to hang out with you guys. It really was. I? glad that I had the chance to use some of the theories that I have been studying so hard. It? remarkable?f?ust maybe?ell, if you two get hitched someday, maybe I?l be the one that fixes your broken electronic appliances?? going to stay here for a while and see if I can learn more from Dr. Andonuts. I mean, from my dad?o it looks like this is goodbye for now, my friends.
Intentionally Wrong
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Wednesday, February 9th 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? That was me.

Fucking Firefox. I mean, really.
Giampi

PostPosted: Friday, February 11th 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that I have been an active member of Starmen.net for years now and have produced more Mother/Mother 2 fanfiction than I care to recall should say volumes about how much I love this game.

Which is to say, that review kicked ass and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

PostPosted: Sunday, December 25th 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find the interviews from Itoh?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> feedback All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: